Skip to main content

A Lovely Valentine's Day

I love celebrating all the people in my life whom I'm so thankful for and love so much.  Each year I get more and more excited about Valentine's Day because each year, J and I add a little to our traditions and I LOVE traditions!

We've spent most Valentine's Day dinners at home with each other.  It's quiet and the relaxing feeling of skipping a crowded restaurant.  This Valentine's Day was no different, but we kicked it up a notch by making crab legs and mussels!  They were easy to cook and fun to eat, but I highly suggest against waiting until the same day to run to Whole Foods to get what you need -- MAD HOUSE, y'all.  Either way, it was delicious and a little messy and we had a good time together.  We spent the rest of the night on the couch with Frank watching movies.  Now THAT is how I like to spend time with my sweethearts.

We really don't buy each other gifts on Valentine's Day.  There are 2 reasons for this:

1.  We're usually broke after a December and January filled with Christmas and countless birthdays
2.  The whole point of the day is to show the people you love that you love them.  Dinner together or handmade gifts are way more fun for us.

This year I changed it up a little bit.  J and I wrote our own vows for our wedding ceremony.  We both had them written down so that we could have them as a keepsake afterward.  Well, J's made it to the house and mine were never found.  I had no idea where they were and I was crushed because I couldn't remember them.  J wasn't too thrilled about it either since they were our FOREVER vows to each other.  Oops. (who can really remember every single moment of the biggest day of their lives anyway?)

Just a couple months into our marriage, I got the idea to give our vows in a frame to J as a gift.  It would be something for us both to enjoy and special because we'd never have to forget them.  My first task was to figure out my vows since we had no paper trail.  Thank GOD for friends with video cameras!  Our friend, John, videoed our vows during the ceremony and we had a copy, so all I had to do was listen to myself on tape a million times to get them right!  Thank you John times a million!!  PS...I HATE the sound of my voice on a recording.  I have some weird mixture of a lisp with occasional Southern flare.  Gross.

My next task was figuring out how to give them to him.  I went through a million ideas until I stumbled upon True Cotton on Instagram.  She's a friend of a friend I went to high school with and I had started following her a few months ago.  I loved her style, so I sent her an email asking for her help with our vows.  After a couple of months of back and forth and an ice storm that delayed delivery, our vows showed up and I was thrilled!

My name looks bigger because of the angle of my camera...

She managed to get all of our vows on one piece and used our wedding colors, too.  I bought a frame at Michael's (that place has the BEST deals!) and presented it to J.  He loved it and I loved that he was happy with it.  Please check out True Cotton and all of the amazing art she creates!!

We spent the rest of the evening on the couch with a certain someone who had to be the center of attention, but we didn't mind!


Popular posts from this blog


 “I don’t know if I should congratulate you or console you.” - Craig “How about both?” - Me This was a conversation in our kitchen earlier this week. After a year and a half of weekly therapy, I had my last session with my therapist Tuesday. Not because I was over it or because it wasn’t working or because he retired. Nope. Because we got to a place where we could both say I’ve got the tools I need to move on. I have to say that there is no timeline for therapy and every situation is unique. I moved on from intensive therapy with my therapist because that it was worked for ME. I am certainly no expert and I have a feeling this isn’t the end of my therapy forever, but I do know that my experience with the right person allowed me to heal in ways I literally never thought possible. And it gave me the experience of a healthy “goodbye”. I was never prepared for that, so when we set an end date (not-so-coincidentally my Nanna’s birthday), it was hard to process. No one talks about

November 19th

There's apparently something about November 19th and changes in my life... 2 years ago: moving out of the ex's house 1 year ago: announcing that I was making the big move to beautiful Colorado Today: planning my next big adventure! After 2 years of major life changes and constant adjustment, I'm finally feeling like a settled human being. So, I've decided that 2018 is going to be the year I push myself physically and mentally. 2 half marathons are on the schedule along with the most exciting part: a multi day bike adventure with an assisted athlete here in Colorado in support of The Kyle Pease Foundation !!  I've learned enough about myself that I will not agree to push myself hard physically for any length of time unless there is another person who is behind the WHY. Doing this in partnership with another athlete who necessarily wouldn't be able to otherwise, is enough to get my ass off my couch and get it done! Details are still being worke


When you're estranged from not one, but basically both parents, the heaviness of that can still be palpable. Most days, most weeks, and months even, it's fine. I've learned to navigate questions like, "Where do your parents live?" or the weird feeling in my gut when someone says, "Oh, my mom sent me this from this favorite place of mine." I've learned how to adjust to Mother's and Father's Days by staying off of social media and doing something that makes me happy like getting out into nature. Some of these times are better than others. Here's the thing: whether or not the choice to go no contact with the two people who were supposed to show you all the basis of love was good or not, is incredibly difficult. Because social media is what it is, yesterday was apparently "International Daughters Day". It didn't bother me so much yesterday, but this morning wasn't off to a great start and for some reason, I felt agitated. I